Sunday 23 February 2014

Today's secret - Salad to last longer

Welcome to my hints and tips page.

I have made this blog to try to help others save time and money.
At the moment I am on a strict budget as our roof blew off in the recent storms and a new one has cost a fortune. (Don't speak to me about insurance companies!) Therefore I am trying to find ways to make things go a little further and cost a LOT less. So if like me you are trying to save cash then come back and I will try to help.
If you have any tips as well please feel free to post them. Ok lets get started......

I have found that if I want to make my lettuce stay fresh longer then I keep it in the fridge wrapped in some paper towel inside a plastic bag - find it still went limp? Simple, put it in a bowl with a bit of clean rinsed coal. (try B&Q or ebay for a piece)

Soggy tomatoes? (No I am not being rude. lol ) Place them in salty water for ten minutes to firm them up and remember if you keep your tomatoes in the fridge then take them out at least ten minutes before eating as this will make them juicier and tastier to eat.

For a fresh home made salad dressing mix a squeeze of lemon with a pinch of paprika then mix into some plain yoghurt with a sprinkle of either parsley or mustard cress. Yummy.

Chopping up pickled beetroot but hate the mess on your chopping board? well use the lid of the jar to hold the beetroot in place and to stop red stains. If you get some stains on your hands then just rub them with a little raw potato - this also works with red cabbage stains.

To clean the cheese grater after use grate a little of the raw potato mentioned above - it cleans the gunk from the holes.

Use different sides of your chopping board for things that smell strongly and things that don't as the strong smells can contaminate the rest and ruin a good meal.

If like me you get in a mess with cling film then put it in the fridge for a while before use as it makes it easier to handle.

Lastly if you add chilli's to your salad and your fingers start to tingle or hurt then rub a little vinegar over them to neutralise the burn.

I hope some of these helped. x

No comments:

Post a Comment